The successful candidate will have a positive, professional demeanor, excellent interpersonal skills and will be able to work independently. The nature of the work will require that the candidate demonstrate initiative and responsibility and be flexible/adaptive to a fast-paced and fluid business environment. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee all aspects of the plant manufacturing operations to include: production quotas and analysis, quality control, scheduling of raw materials, equipment trouble shooting, maintenance, inventory control, personnel management and environmental compliance the daily management of the ready-mix concrete plant, including but not limited to leadership, safety, environment, operations, quality, efficiency, maintenance, appearance and administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains the highest standard of quality and safety in all areas of production from manufacturing to shipment
- Safely batch concrete and load trucks according to order specification
- Oversees efficient plant operations related to production and scheduling
- Manages the schedule and performance of production maintenance
- Ensures the plant maintains proper stock inventories (raw materials, machinery/vehicle parts, etc.)
- Supervise hourly personnel & drivers to include: hiring, training, directing, counseling and disciplining employees according to company policy
- Communicates with Production Manager and other departments
- Maintains a clean fleet
- Coordinates fleet maintenance with truck shop
- Coordinates plant maintenance with welding shop
- Performs month-end inventory
- Develops relationships with plant sales reps and customers
- Manages CODs
- Must be able to run front end loader, when needed
- Required to work a schedule that varies from week to week
- Ability to work extended hours and irregular schedules
- Required to work weekends
OTHER TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review daily vehicle reports completed by drivers
- Maintain raw materials inventory and other necessary supplies
- Prepare required reports on a daily, weekly, monthly basis
- Conduct safety meetings
- Perform quality control sampling to ensure the integrity of finished product
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal employment regulations as well as company policies and procedures
- Maintain company assets in good operational condition
- Assist with performing maintenance work on equipment
- Operate the plant within set budget
- Review orders in the system for proper mix design for customer specific needs.
- Communicate in an effective manner with all operations personnel to ensure availability of proper resources, personnel, and trucks to provide superior customer service.
To be successful in this job, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and possess the following:
- An understanding of all aspects of concrete production and the types of products produced
- An understanding of QC/QA for the ready mix concrete industry
- A working mechanical knowledge of all plant related equipment
- Knowledge of production equipment, production processes and maintenance programs
- A commitment to team concepts, a sense of ownership and urgency
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal professionally with all managers, employees, vendors and customers
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Working computer skills
- Effectively and consistently communicates constructive feedback, positive reinforcement, on-going evaluations and counseling concerns to the Team Members while implementing company-approved methods and programs.
- Promotes and maintains an environmentally compliant and a safety-oriented plant in accordance with all OSHA and company standards.
- Coordinates and reinforces daily plant inspections, monthly safety meetings, preventive maintenance procedures, the wearing of the PPE’s and monthly fleet and plant inspections.
- Maintains and monitors the batching sequence, fleet maintenance and reliability, appearance of the batch office, plant and yard according to established company procedures.
- Batches consistent slump concrete, verifies batch weight accuracy and identifies and resolves inventory discrepancies.
- Manages costs and utilizes Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to guide production, identify areas for improvement and work with Delivery Professionals to safely arrive at jobsites in a timely manner.
- Oversees and assesses quality, consistency and quantity of incoming materials on a daily basis and ensures all products meet company and customer standards.
- Interacts with other department teams to identify customer needs, to coordinate efficient and consistent delivery of products, to resolve issues and to improve product and quality of service.
- Ensures that all products and services meet or exceed customers’ expectations.
A working knowledge of the programming functions of all current plant systems
- Working knowledge of OSHA/DOT regulation.
- Must have ACI Level 1Field Testing Technician and Concrete Batch Plant Operator Certifications within 90 days of hire.
- 5+ years progressive experience with ready mix concrete production, associated equipment and fleet management preferred
- Capable of climbing conveyor belts and silos up to 70 feet.
- Must have working knowledge of state and federal employment, safety and environmental laws.
- Must have excellent math, computer, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.